Friday, August 13, 2010

A Lesson in Fractions

Did I mention that after Shane built our patio he also built the girls a sandbox? They love it.

Peyton's considering the convent someday.....

Our old broken kiddie pool became our old sandbox. But now that we have a much better sandbox the pool needed to go. I cut it into pieces so it would fit in the garbage can and it became an impromptu lesson in fractions. I ran to get my camera so we'd have a reference to look back on. In my mind I thought, "I could totally homeschool. Look at me taking a real life opportunity to teach about fractions to my brilliant two and three year old!"

I explained that having four even pieces meant we had fourths....

...and that when we put three of them together we call it 3/4.

Together they (sniff) made one whole.

Despite all the applause in my head I wasn't quite finished with my little prodigies. I asked Libby, "How many pieces make up one half of the pool?" She thought carefully. She considered. She pondered. She studied. Her eyes lit up with recognition. She answered, "Thirteen!"

At least my girl's got conviction.

I came across this sleeping bag in the closet. It's a good fit for my little mummies.

1 comment:

Anna I. said...

Garret does the same thing with numbers. Just when you start to think you've explained something just right you'll say, "So, how many dragons were there?" And even though we've just counted them on his fingers and he's holding up 6, he'll say "27!!" I do love that there's so much conviction in the answers.

Related Posts with Thumbnails