Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Confessions of a Neurotic Procrastinator

My to do list goes on for miles right now. I worked in my classroom for two and a half hours this morning, which is about the girls' limit. When my list gets this long I tend to check out by finding other things to do. Creative things. Things I should NOT be spending my time on. I'm hoping this charming little character flaw will someday make me millions. I spent a good ten minutes this morning staring at a wall in my classroom thinking it would be the perfect spot to paint a mural of the illustrations of Shel Silverstein. It really would be great. It would create such an inviting learning environment. But, I really don't have time for murals. I'm just avoiding a shelf of curriculum I should be learning, posters that need to be hung, lessons to be planned. Case in point (sit down if you know me well).... I haven't even watched t.v. this summer. No reality t.v. even, and reality t.v. and I LOVE each other. I'm struggling to focus on doing what's important. Things that'll really matter at the end of my life. On the day I take my last breath, I doubt I'll look back and say, "I really wish I'd painted that mural."

Instead, here's what I did do this week. The lunch boxes were $3.99 at Target. The velcro letters on the front took a lot less time than it would take me to paint a mural, and I still had time to take the girls swimming. Mural schmural.
The girls are sleeping. I'm gonna go take a look at that list....

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails