Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Pledge

I often have students in my class raise their right hand and repeat after me something they need to improve on, such as "I (state your name) will walk in the hallway without touching anyone." or "I will try my best in my writing even when it's hard for me. Even when it's excruciatingly difficult, I will struggle. I will think. I will write my ideas. I will try my best." Stuff like that. It's always a little comical the first time I do this because when I say "state your name" they repeat it back verbatim.

Today, I tried it at home with the girls after their bickering wore on me. It went, "I (state your name) will not fight with my sister." It worked. Not because of the commitment that is required when you take a pledge, but because learning which was their right hand and concentrating on my words provided enough of a distraction that they forgot what they'd been fighting about.

After my pledge the girls wanted to say their own. Libby's was "I love my sister. I love my grandmas and my dad. I love my grandpa. I love that we have a house to sleep in that keeps us nice and warm. I love my family."

Not bad.

Then, Peyton followed with, "I LOVE MY FAMILY! I love my dog. I love my Juju. I love my grandpa. I love my mom. I love my sister. I love my zoo. I love my dad. I love playing things. I love being in my house. I love my house and my cozy bed to sleep in. I love reading books. I love when Grandpa Dad is here. I love watching t.v. I love Mick Jr. (Nick Jr.). I love my sister. I love my dad. I love my bean bag." At this point she started looking around the room for things to add. "I love my Dora chair. I tooted (laughing hysterically) I tooted. I tooted. I tooted. I tooted. I tooted......" and she wandered off cracking herself up.

I'll take it.

Despite cold temperatures it got sunny for awhile today. So, after a morning of sewing while the girls stared at the t.v. we went to play at the park and then met Bebo and Uncle Bones for frozen yogurt. Libby has been dying to go to the new self-serve frozen yogurt place and meeting Dave and Becky there was a bonus. Becky is done with chemo (woot woot!) and has her surgery to remove the lump in her breast tomorrow. It seems like she is so far from here. Time has flown. Well, for me it has, but I realize I'm not the one fighting cancer. Anyway, if you're the prayin' sort, send one up for our Bebo tomorrow. Our family will tonight....

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails