Thursday, August 4, 2011

Hey. Cancer. You don't know who you're messin' with....

Just so you know, I texted her today and asked this question: Can I blog about you, or is it still too early to make this all about me? I got the green light with the caveat that I make her look hot, and rally players and prayers for TEAM BEBO. I'm on it.

Becky, a.k.a. Bebo, one of my nearest and dearest friends on the planet, told me this week that she was having a lump in her breast looked at. My text that followed was, (and I quote) "Keep me posted when you get the "all clear" from your doc. And by doc, I don't mean Groshong, though I know he'd be willing to take a look."

And then........

The call that came yesterday wasn't of the "all clear" variety. Rather, a stage two lump in her breast. U.G.H.

I actually have better words to describe the feeling that came over me, but in the event that any of my students, or their families should ever happen upon my little corner of the internet, well....I sorta need my job.

I hate cancer. Hate it. Admittedly too, I've become a little complacent about it since my mom kicked its ass in 2007. Complacency is a luxury no cancer survivor has. I don't forward the emails. I don't post about it on facebook. I do the Heaven Can Wait Walk, but suddenly that doesn't seem to be enough. With this week's news, though, this ugly, yet familiar enemy has picked a fight with another loved one of mine. So I have this to say to you, cancer....

DO

YOU

EVEN

KNOW

WHO

YOU'RE

MESSIN'

WITH?

You are messing with my friend who always has the right words to say.

Who, by her nature, puts all others before herself and seems happiest doing so.

My friend who did this on my birthday, and this for Peyton's birthday.

Who laughed and cried with me through the birth of my second child, and only missed my first because I was out of town.

My friend who watches all of the Harry Potter movies with me.

My friend who takes better care of my own dog than I do.

My friend who, even as I'm typing this, just sent me a text which included the words, "juggles, jiggles, boobies, cookies" and is making me laugh one day after her diagnosis.

My friend who loves school supply shopping, sharpened pencils and the smell of new crayons.

My friend who's already laughing about her medical marijuana card, but might not be kidding.

My friend who loves my kids almost as much as they adore her.

My friend who loves my cheesy potatoes even though I can't cook.

My friend who sees to it that I get my roots done.

My friend who sat with with me as we lost our beloved Bruiser, and who was the last person to spark a wag of his tail.

My friend who is a lover and a fighter.

So cancer, watch yourself. You're gonna lose this battle and she'll embarrass you as she takes you down. She isn't only my friend. She's a wife, daughter, sister, aunt, entrepeneur, leader, encourager and nurturer. And though I've always known she's a fighter, you ain't seen nothin' yet.



P.S. I baked tonight.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Umm ya. I am bawling. I don't know BeBo but I know how much you and your girls love her... which makes me love her too. Love, prayers, good vibes and all that jazz to you BeBo.

PS Boog- I love reading you

rachel said...

Oh geez, Jenny. I am so sorry. Tell her to Fight Like a Girl. With you on her side, I'm sure she'll be fine. Love and hugs to you both.

Unknown said...

Oh man Jenny, I literally have tears rolling down my cheeks; equal parts because of your amazing way with words, your clear adoration of your friend and the fact that I have stared cancer down myself and know the sheer horror of that damn disease.
I will send healing vibes in your friends direction. She'll be fine with you on her side.
P.S. I enjoyed reading the book Crazy, Sexy Cancer throughout my experience.

Jamie said...

Man oh man. The tears are rolling as I look out my back window watching Bebo in her backyard like nothing has just struck her like a Mac truck. No word can be encouraging enough. She is so lucky to have you guys!! All our thoughts and prayers are heading her direction. We are here to help. Call us up and we will rally. Love you guys!! Man o man this sucks!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails