Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Birth of a Cowboy....

I went back through my pictures and I'm pretty sure I know how my cowboy got to thinkin' he's a cowboy. To his credit, he did grow up around horses. His dad played polo and Shane even had a horse of his own named Small Wonder. He worked summers on a ranch from the age of twelve. I love to hear him tell his boyhood stories. In fact, hearing him talk about his dad, it's easy to see how those childhood days shaped the man he is now. So, I guess he's got some real cowboy in him after all.

In looking back to last month, there was a moment at the rodeo when he said to me, "You know how you can tell who's really a cowboy, and who's not? Real cowboys don't where leather hats in the summer. It's too hot. They'd work wearing a straw hat."

A week later, Tex picked himself up a gen-yoo-wine straw Stetson on our way through Sisters, and a real cowboy was born.


Slugo, the Eugene Ems Mascot

The girls' favorite moment was when one of the rodeo clowns, came out riding a pretend horse that lifted his hind end and sprayed the audience from his backside. Hysterical!

Aside from all that, can you believe I grew up in Central Oregon and this is the first rodeo I've ever been too? I guess I just see myself as more of a city slicker.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails