Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Beach

Last weekend we headed to the beach and ended up hitting the best day of the week weather-wise. On Saturday morning I woke up, laid in my bed listening to my mom talking to the girls at the other end of our trailer. Then my mom said, "Well, it's eight o'clock. Should we get moving?" My momma looooooves to play at the beach. We started at the North Jetty. It was warm, no wind and we had a great time walking in the sand collecting sand dollars.

Writer

The lasso is actually Grunden's leash, but maybe it would work on kids too?

Love.

Wordy.

We left the jetty and stopped at a lookout for a better view.

Then, we headed for the dunes.

We can find fun anywhere.

The sand was wet, so our sleds only worked with man power.


Lunch at Mo's and a stroll along the water front.


Then, we got ice cream at BJ's and rode over to the boat ramp to watch the action from the fisherman. Just after we got there, Shane pulled up to the dock with his customers after a long, but slow day. They'd caught a grand total of two fish. We met him and went out to make a couple of passes at some Coho salmon. Within minutes my rod went down. I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but I do remember that things got a little crazy at that point. Shane yelled at me to keep the fish out from under the boat. It was already under the boat, and it had wrapped itself around the prop a few time. Oops. He yelled at my mom to reel up, and she did, but not before tangling her line around the eight rods sitting in the back of the boat. Oops. Miraculously, I managed not to lose the fish and Shane netted it. We untangled the mess in the boat, killed a fish and comforted the girls who were standing wide-eyed at the horror unfolding before them. And by we, I mean Shane did all of that while rolling his eyes at the rest of us. Then we headed back up river for another pass......

Within five minutes, my rod went down again and this time my mom reeled in her fish. I offered to net it, and Shane replied emphatically, "NO! I'll do it!" Huh. Ye of little faith. When the fish was safely on the floor of the boat, my mom and I high fived each other and said, "We are SO good at this!" More eye-rolling from our guide. I reminded him that he'd been "out here all day and caught two fish. We got it done in about ten minutes." He told me I had a hot spinner. Please. I know.


Anyway, we had a great time, and having some fish in our freezer is a total bonus. Maybe I should learn to hunt. Kidding. I do love the reaction I get when I suggest such things to my guide though.

A scenic stop on the way home.

This was E week at school. Elmo Eats an Egg. Get it? And she brought an Empty box. We live by the alphabet these days.....

The littlest guide in the family helps her dad.

Ooh. I forgot to mention. We lost another fish in between the two that we caught because the spinner broke. Puh-leas. An equipment malfunction? I guess you get what you pay for.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails