Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Third Egg

Remember the owl box camera we watched last year? Well, this one might be even better. It's a family of bald eagles in Decorah, Iowa. My students have been watching like hawks (pun intended) their every move. We've been watching now for two days. Momma is sitting on top of two hatched babies and one egg and we've been waiting, waiting, waiting for that third egg to hatch. I'm starting to wonder if it won't. If it does though, I can tell you this...... We will be glued to our computer screens watching its every move.

We have watched the momma and papa eagles come and go and take turns feeding and sitting on their little family. And by feeding the babies, I mean ripping apart whatever they've just killed, chewing it into tiny digestible pieces and dropping it into the mouths of their waiting babies. It is school-sactioned gore at its finest, and my class (of mostly boys) loves it! Here's to the third egg and hoping the little guy (or girl) makes it.....

Update: Just after writing this I went to the site to check on them and the third egg had hatched! My class will be so excited, and bummed that we missed it. You can see the third hatch here, though. I wonder if I could trick them into believing they're watching it in real time. They'll probably just be excited that there's a dead fish on the edge of the nest.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails