Thursday, January 28, 2010

An Advertiser's Dream

I'm perpetually amazed at what a three year old can learn and retain. Case in point:

This morning Libby and I were in the bathroom finishing some business and washing hands. Peyton was playing in the living room where The Today Show (my primary source for news) was on t.v. Some instrumental music came on and Libby stops, ponders for a moment and says, "Mom, I hear the Pop Tarts." Mind you, instrumental music. No flashy jingle. No plug for the product they were selling. Is that really possible? I quickly ran around the corner to see if she could be right. She was. She knows the soft music of a Pop Tarts add. Pop Tarts. A food she has never even held in her hand. Not that my kids don't eat sugar. They do. I'm not even opposed to Pop Tarts, but oy vey.

Lately Libby wants a Pillow Pet. It's a glorified stuffed animal that becomes a pillow, plugged incessantly by gleaming children skipping happily to slumber parties between episodes of Dora. I bet at those slumber parties no one cries for their mommy or wets the bed either. And cue......t.v. off. Time to find something healthy to feed my kids.

I guess this little episode shouldn't have me too surprised. Two nights ago while we were getting the girls ready for bed we had an impromptu came of Candy Land on the floor of their room. When Libby drew a chip that she couldn't play, the equivalent of losing a turn, she replied with a very mild and sweet, "Awwww daaaammit." Of course Shane and I looked at each other and busted up. I apologized, knowing those words leave my lips when I'm clumsy, or if I drop something, and Shane was all too eager to give me the credit.

Hold on. Wait just one minute.

So, I asked Libby. "Hey babe? Y'know that word you just said? Who says that?" What she said next was music to my ears....

"Daddy."

1 comment:

rachel said...

i won't repeat the words christian hollered at a neighborhood dog while on a walk one day... OOPS!

Related Posts with Thumbnails