Saturday, December 3, 2011

Saturday Morning

This morning I was laying in bed thinking about math. I teach two fifth grade math classes, and this morning I was laying in bed making a plan to grade and send home completed work, write a parent letter and highlight some vocabulary we've been using.

Then, I heard the pitter patter of Libby's feet heading my way. She climbed into bed with me and we snuggled for a minute before she asked (as they always do), "Mom, can I turn on Nick Jr?"

I said, "Yeah, but first I want to talk to you. It's important that we talk to each other, because one day you'll be an awful teenager and you won't talk to me. So we gotta talk now."

"Why?"

"Because, teenagers are awful and they don't like their mothers."

"I'll never do that mom. I'll always write you special notes."

"I hope so. I had a dream last night that you, Peyton and I were driving an air mattress down the highway. Isn't that a weird dream? It was only partially inflated and that made it hard to steer. Silly, huh? Did you have a dream last night?"

"Yeah. I dreamed that me and you and Daddy and Peyton and Grunny were watching a movie. It was that funny movie where the guy says, "Eat my rubber!" (Christmas Vacation) We can have a little fun with that here (at home) but I'm not gonna say that at school."

"Yeah, that's a good idea."



1 comment:

JEN said...

I may be in the minority here....but I LOVE teenagers. I'm constantly awed by how much my students love their parents...and us teachers, for that matter (that soooo wasn't the case when I was growing up)! They can be crazy, but mostly I find them to be super fun, outgoing, little adults. 5th grade math??? Now THAT scares me! My hat's off to you, sister. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails