Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Literary Critics

Today was a bit of a mess.  The mess actually started yesterday morning when Peyton's socks didn't feel right and then it ruined our lives.  Today's meltdown was louder, longer and, from what I can gather, had something to do with her pants not fitting just so. My day seemed to draaaaaag on forever. Peyton's after-school-attitude wasn't much improved from the morning and when I went to by my lottery ticket to win $636,000,000, I missed the cutoff by "30 seconds" according to the clerk.  Right after he sold tickets to the people in front of me.  He then proceeded to tell me I should've come earlier.  Yeah.  I got that.

Grrrr....

Sigh.

Tonight, after laundry and laying down expectations with Peyton I was sorta done.  So, I asked Shane if he'd read the girls their bedtime story.  He agreed.  Shane and I consider different criteria when picking bedtime stories for our girls.  I look for stories with well developed characters; ones we might even be able to relate to, and interesting story lines with great voice.  A little over-their-head humor is a total bonus.  Shane looks for stories that are short. Tonight, his first comment after giving Peyton's book pick the once-over was "This looks really long."

The book was Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes.  It's such a good book.

About half way through, though, I called him out for racing through the story and not reading any of the captions.  Then Libby added, "Yeah, and why are you, like.....YELLING?  Is it because you can't hear yourself?"  I mean, I think she might be onto something....


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails