Monday, February 11, 2013

Focus Pocus

First of all, how cute is Grunny?

Secondly, Libby (God bless her) organized her hair bands.  Eeeeeee! She is soooooo me

I have lost my focus.  I know this is true because I tackled my recent report cards with the same gusto as I'd tackle a term paper as an undergrad.  Which is to say it took me two weeks to complete, and even then it came down to a marathon round of comments (albeit thoughtful comments) on the morning they were due.  

I've reasoned it by saying that I work well under pressure.  This is true.  I even said I need that pressure.  This may be less than true.  But this familiar return to my old procrastinating ways has me not-so-pleased with myself.  I've blamed Pinterest.  I've blamed facebook.  Shane blames (I think) my new obsession with a not-so-new show.  And where was I when The Big Bang theory premiered?  How did I miss it?  I'm just glad I did, because that means no fewer than five new (to me) episodes every time I check my DVR.  And that Sheldon..... I love him.  I stay up too late and I get up too early and.... and.... and..... Sigh.  See?  I've just lost my focus.

On a positive note, Libby just got her first report card.  I was giddy.  The good news....she's thriving.  She loves school.  She works hard and has friends.  She likes helping others.  I didn't need a report card to tell me so, but still, it's nice to read it on paper.  Her academics are solid too, but the other stuff comes first.  Everyday as my sister and I walked out the door to school our mom said to us, "Try your best and do what your teacher says."  Every.  Day.  And, as it turns out, this is the stuff we care about for our girls too.  Trying hard and being their best.  And they are.

I'm writing here tonight because when I asked Peyton to get a book to read at bedtime she went and got her photo album.  We took our time flipping through the pictures.  Pictures I'm so glad I took because looking through them is like reliving their first years.  And now we are out of their first years and on to report cards and swimming lessons and fundraisers and birthday parties at Chuck E. Cheese.  And it not only feels like it's flying by, but also gaining momentum.  

Hocus Pocus, I think I just found my focus....



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails