Saturday, February 14, 2009

My Mom is a Stud!

A few weeks ago we were in Bend and my mom asked me to read a letter she'd gotten from the athletic department at the U of O.  It was an invitation to former women's basketball players to attend a luncheon, and afterward a women's basketball game.  I read the letter and said, "You played basketball at U of O?"  I knew she played tennis and threw the javelin, but who knew she played basketball too?

Anyway, the luncheon was today and we had a great time.  The purpose of the luncheon was to give the Becky Sisley award to Laurie Tennent, a woman who was an athlete at the U of O who has gone on to have success in her career, and has become a contributor in her community.  When we arrived at the luncheon, my mom gave them her name and they gave us our game tickets and the t-shirt my mom was supposed to wear on the court at half time, where she was to be honored with 14 other former basketball players.  We didn't know she'd be honored on the court at half time, so that was so cool.  I was so proud that she's my mama!

The players wore pink today in honor of breast cancer awarness.  Even the Duck was in pink.  A bonus considering mom's battle with (and defeat of) breast cancer in 2007.

The photo isn't great.  I didn't have my camera, so I snapped it with my phone.  My mom is third from the left.  Green shirt, yellow sleeves.  

1 comment:

rachel said...

How did you miss that little piece of info in your mom's history? Too funny!
I bet you were so proud.

Related Posts with Thumbnails